2014 Davis Cup Final: Czech Republic def. Serbia
- R1 Novak Djokovic (SRB) def. Radek Stepanek (CZE) 7-5, 6-1, 6-4
- R2 Tomas Berdych (CZE) def. Dusan Lajovic (SRB) 6-3, 6-4, 6-3
- R3 Tomas Berdych and Radek Stepanek def. Ilija Bozoljac and Nenad Zimonkic 6-2, 6-4, 7-6(4)
- R4 Novak Djokovic def. Tomas Berdych 6-4, 7-6(5), 6-2
- R5 Radek Stepanek def. Dusan Lajovic 6-3, 6-1, 6-1
For the second consecutive year, Radek Stepanek was the key ingredient to Czech Republic’s Davis Cup title. Just like last year against Spain, Radek lost the first rubber, went on to win the doubles event with Tomas Berdych, then clinched the title with a win in the deciding match. Last year, tied at 2-all, Stepanek earned the title for his teammates with a 6-4, 7-6(0), 3-6, 6-3 win over Nicolas Almagro of Spain. This year, it was a convincing win over 23-year-old Serb Dusan Lajovic.
Serbia’s two victorious rubbers came from Novak Djokovic, who won convincingly over both Berdych and Stepanek. No doubt Novak, his teammates, and all of Belgrade Arena missed Janko Tipsarevic, who won the deciding semifinal rubber over Vasek Pospisil in Canada. During Wednesday’s press conference, it was announced that Tipsarevic was still recovering from a right heel injury suffered in Valencia back in October, and wouldn’t take the court for Serbia.
- Last year, Radek Stepanek became the oldest man in Davis Cup history to win a live fifth rubber
- This year, Stepanek became the first man in history clinch the decisive match two years in a row
- Back in January, Stepanek had surgery for a dislocated disc in his neck, leaving his future questionable. In 2013, he managed to remain in the top-50 in singles, top-10 in doubles, won the U.S. Open doubles title with Leander Paes, and pulled off another thrilling win for his country in Davis Cup competition
NEXT YEAR: 2014 DAVIS CUP WORLD GROUP – (Click here for the draw)
First round play is January 31st through February 2nd, after the Australian Open. The U.S. will host Great Britain in San Diego, outdoors, on clay at Petco Park.