Match Recap from Announcer Andy Taylor, Voice of the Qatar Total Open
Angelique Kerber advances to the Semifinals
Angelique Kerber and Barbora Strycova have each been WTA staples for over a decade. They first played professionally 11 years ago in the Quarterfinals of an ITF event in Krakow. Of their eight previous meetings, Barbora’s only victory came on clay in Madrid.
Tonight, the Czech spitfire owned the reigning Wimbledon Champion in the first set, then faded in the second. By the decider’s first changeover, it looked like Kerber would run away with the victory, but Strycova never quit. Relentless, she went up a late break – but Kerber broke right back. Tension.
Both held to the tiebreak, but all the bounces went Kerber’s way down the stretch.
Easily their best match since Round-3 in Cincinnati 3 years ago. Take a bow, ladies. Hell of a show.
Another important mental victory for Angelique Kerber
Finally, it appears the Doha drought is over. Angelique Kerber is back to winning matches on this court. After reaching the Doha Final in 2014, Kerber went 1-4 in Qatar. In 2015, she fell in the opening round to Wild Card Victoria Azarenka. A year later, she came-in as the Australian Open Champion, and fell to SaiSai Zheng. Daria Kasatkina took her out in 2017. Finally, last year, after a win over Jo Konta, she fell to Caroline Wozniacki.
Now with two wins under her belt during a withdrawal-laden draw, Kerber is back in Doha’s Semifinals – looking for another shot at the Falcon.
Head to Head: 9th meeting between these two players
- Doha 2019 QF |  Angelique Kerber -06- (GER) def Annett Kontaveit -20- (EST) | 61 76(3)
- Dubai 2018 R1 |  Angelique Kerber -09- (GER) def Barbora Strycova -25- (CZE) | 62 61
- Beijing 2016 R1 |  Angelique Kerber -01- (GER) def Barbora Strycova -21- (CZE) | 63 76(4)
- Cincinnati 2016 R16 |  Angelique Kerber -02- (GER) def Barbora Strycova -20- (CZE) | 76(5) 64
- Madrid 2016 R2 | Barbora Strycova -33- (CZE) def  Angelique Kerber -03- (GER) | 64 62
- Miami 2016 R2 |  Angelique Kerber -03- (GER) def Barbora Strycova -32- (CZE) | 61 61
- Wuhan 2014 R16 |  Angelique Kerber -08- (GER) def Barbora Strycova -32- (CZE) | 61 61
- Bastad 2009 R1 | Angelique Kerber -120- (GER) def Barbora Strycova -119- (CZE) | 75 64
- Krakow 2008 (ITF) QF | Angelique Kerber -121- (GER) def  Barbora Strycova -76- (CZE) | 60 61
 Angelique Kerber -06- (GER) | Quarterfinal Announcer Introduction
The #3-seed at this year’s Qatar Total Open, she…is the reigning Wimbledon Champion. Back in July, she defeated Serena Williams to capture her 3rd Grand Slam Singles title and 12th Tour-level title overall. In 2016, she won her first Major at the Australian Open, captured Olympic Silver in Rio, won her 2nd Slam at the US Open, reached the championship match at the WTA Finals, finished the season as the year-end World #1, and has now held the sport’s top ranking for 34-weeks combined. A 28-time Finalist on Tour, she reached her 10th career Final on this court just 5-years-ago. Back in Doha for the 10th time, from Germany – Please welcome the World #6 and 2014 Qatar Total Open Finalist, Angelique Kerber.
- QF — W | Barbora Strycova -49- (CZE) | Score: 1-6, 6-2, 7-6(4)
- R2 — W | Anett Kontaveit -20- (EST) | Score: 6-1, 7-6(3) | RECAP
- R1 — BYE
Barbora Strycova -49- (CZE) | Quarterfinal Announcer Introduction
Making her 6th Qatar Total Open Appearance, she is an Olympic Bronze Medalist, led the Czech Republic to a dominating SIX Fed Cup titles in eight years, and has been ranked as high as World #16. Last month in Melbourne, she reached her 5th career Grand Slam Doubles Semifinal at the Australian Open – and comes into this year’s tournament with a career-high doubles ranking of #5 in the World. In fact, 2-years-ago, she was a Doubles Semifinalist here in Doha with partner Sania Mirza, and now owns 23 WTA doubles titles in FIFTY career finals. From the Czech Republic, please welcome Barbora Strycova.